A more engaging learning experience
Why are we moving from training to learning?
In research with volunteers, we learnt that our current training scheme can feel overwhelming for new volunteers, be hard to access and often learners experience delays with validation. It is also over 20 years old and in need of personalisation to our volunteers.
Our new learning approach will achieve:
- A simpler and easier to access learning experience
- Learning specific and tailored to a volunteer’s role
- Improved accessibility and inclusivity
- Modernise and improve on our current scheme
- Improve how we recognise prior learning
The new framework for learning (the Learning Tree) will be made up of two parts:
- Growing Roots – the new mandatory learning for our volunteers, which will have to be completed in 6 months. This is comprised of two parts:
- The learning all volunteers need to get started
- The learning a volunteers needs for their team and role
- Branching Out – will allow for volunteers to shape their learning journey based on what is most beneficial to them and their team for young people. It will encompass a variety of learning options such as:
- Digital Skills
- Permits & Adventurous activities
- Practical scouting skills
- Team Leadership
- And much more…
Training to Learning webinar
To find out what out more about how we’re moving to the learning culture, and what that practically means for our current and new volunteers, please watch the webinar recording from the 21 June 2023:
Introducing the Learning Tree
We want to help everyone understand how learning works for Scout volunteers.
Four videos and an interactive Learning Tree have been produced for that purpose. We want them to be easy to understand, engaging, and to feel “Scouty”.
The Scout Association are seeking feedback on the videos and we ask all volunteers to visit their Testing Hub, watch the videos and then share your thoughts via the survey on the Hub.
If you have any questions, please use our Transformation – Ask Us page